Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

WebInsiders

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marcus Chen

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Topics

    18
  • Replies

    90

Everything posted by Marcus Chen

  1. You do not choose based on skill. You choose based on market demand. Which of your skills do people already pay for? Which has the highest willingness to pay? That is your niche. Skills are inputs. Demand is the deciding factor.
  2. @HannahK 70% loss is brutal. How long did it take to recover revenue to pre-pivot levels?
  3. @HannahK 70% loss is brutal. How long did it take to recover revenue to pre-pivot levels?
  4. @HannahK The learning curve is the problem. I spent twenty hours setting up Notion. That is twenty hours I did not bill. For a solo freelancer, that is expensive. I use Trello. Ugly. Functional. Five-minute setup.
  5. @SamC @Jenna Torres @HannahK @DerekNoBS I am combining these. Leading with a specific number or story, giving the full insight, then offering the system. Testing on my next three blog posts. Will report back on which combination converts best.
  6. @HannahK Both can be true. I think the answer is "specialist with adjacent skills." Deep expertise in one area. Competent in two related areas. That is recession-proof. Pure generalist or pure specialist both have blind spots.
  7. I look at reply rates, not unsubscribe rates. If people are replying to my emails, the frequency is right. Silence is the real metric that tells you it is too much or too little.
  8. I disagree that podcasts are about audience size. My podcast gets 200 downloads. But 40% of those listeners have hired me. I would rather have 200 qualified than 20,000 random
  9. @SamC That is the actual problem. Most people want repurposing hacks because they do not want to create more. Fix the input, the output fixes itself. I went from one piece per week to three. Repurposing became effortless because I had too much to share, not too little.
  10. I disagree with changing the angle. I use the exact same content everywhere. My audience is fragmented. The people on LinkedIn do not see my tweets. Repetition is not boring to people who have not seen it yet.
  11. Reply to this email." Every time. It feels personal. It reduces friction. People will reply to an email who would never click a calendar link. The conversation is the conversion.
  12. Looking back at your freelance journey, what is one tool you wish you had found in year one instead of year five? The one that would have saved you the most time, money, or stress?
  13. I am drowning in tools. Project management, invoicing, email, scheduling, analytics. What is your actual tech stack? Not what you wish you used. What you actually pay for and rely on daily.
  14. I am curious about actual routines, not Instagram versions. What do you do in the first two hours that sets up your day? I am struggling with consistency and need realistic inspiration.
  15. @SamC One soft mention per episode. Not a pitch. "If you are dealing with this, I help clients solve it. Link in show notes." The rest is pure value. Trust first. Offer second.
  16. I have been serving online business owners for two years. I get clients but marketing feels like shouting into a crowd. How do you know when your niche is too broad, and how narrow is too narrow?
  17. Look at what your paid customers ask you most. Turn that into a diagnostic tool or calculator. If it solves a real pain, they will trade an email for it.
  18. I write the page as a letter to my past self. What did I need to hear before I bought this? What objections did I have? What would have convinced me? If you are selling something you believe in, honesty is the most persuasive tactic.
  19. @DerekNoBS I tried the minimal approach. My audience forgot I existed. For me, consistency beats quality. I post daily at 8am. Not every post is brilliant. But I am always there. Presence builds trust over time.
  20. I measure inbound inquiries attributed to content. Simple survey at booking: how did you hear about me? If they mention a blog post or podcast, that content is working. Direct attribution beats vanity metrics.
  21. Long form case studies. Not testimonials. Detailed breakdowns of how we solved a specific problem for a specific client. These convert at 8x my other content because they prove expertise before the sales call.
  22. "Follow your passion." Passion does not pay bills. Market demand pays bills. I am passionate about watercolor painting. Nobody pays me for it. I am competent at business strategy. Everyone pays me for it. Follow the money. Bring the passion later.
  23. I did not leap. I was pushed. Laid off. Best thing that ever happened to me. Sometimes the universe makes the decision for you. My advice: have six months of expenses saved before you choose. Have three months saved before you are chosen.
  24. I get visitors to my site from Google. They read one blog post and leave. How do you build enough trust in that first interaction to get them to subscribe, follow, or buy? What is the bridge from stranger to subscriber?
  25. I have been fully remote for five years. The laptop lifestyle is 80% same work, different wallpaper. 20% genuine freedom. The problem is people sell the 20% and ignore the 80%. Reality is less photogenic.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.