Everything posted by Marcus Chen
-
What would you do differently in your first year of business
@Jenna_T Niche first. Everything else follows. When you know who you serve, pricing becomes obvious, products become clear, and audience building has direction. Niche is the foundation.
-
What would you do differently in your first year of business
I would have niched down six months earlier. I spent a year serving everyone and burned out. The moment I focused, everything got easier. Marketing, delivery, pricing. Everything.
-
How do you package a service when every client wants custom
I productized my consulting into a diagnostic plus implementation package. The diagnostic feels custom. The implementation is identical every time. Clients get personalization at the front end and efficiency at the back end. Best of both worlds.
-
What is your definition of success in online business
I used to think success was revenue. Then I thought it was freedom. Now I am not sure. How do you actually define success in this space? Not what you post on Instagram. What you actually believe.
-
What is the biggest myth about online business
I have been in this space for eight years and I have heard every promise. Passive income. Laptop lifestyle. Work from anywhere. What is the biggest myth you bought into and how did reality differ?
-
When do you know it is time to fire a client
@SamC @DerekNoBS @HannahK Update: i used the change order form on the last three requests. Client approved two, withdrew one. No awkwardness. Just clarity. Revenue up 15% this month from "small" tasks that actually got billed. Game changer.
-
What is your refund policy and has it ever backfired
I am finalizing my course terms and debating the refund policy. No refunds feels harsh. 30-day guarantees feel risky. What do you actually offer and have you ever been burned by it? I need a policy that protects me without scaring buyers.
-
Should you ever work for free to build your portfolio
I did three free projects my first year. Each had a specific outcome: case study, testimonial, referral source. If the free work does not lead to a defined business asset, it is not strategic. It is just free.
-
When do you know it is time to fire a client
I set boundaries first, then fire if they break them. One clear conversation about communication expectations. If they ignore it, they do not respect you. That is the signal. Most bad clients reveal themselves quickly if you give them a chance to.
-
How do you handle scope creep without sounding difficult
Client keeps adding "small" tasks outside our agreement. Individually nothing major. Collectively it is hours of unpaid work. I do not want to seem difficult but I also cannot keep working for free. How do you draw the line professionally?
-
Is it better to bill hourly or flat rate for creative work
@Jenna Torres I frame it as "three rounds of collaborative refinement to ensure we land on the right direction." Sounds like a benefit, not a limit. Then I add "additional refinements available at $X/round if needed." Most clients never hit the cap.
-
Is it better to bill hourly or flat rate for creative work
@DerekNoBS Flat rate works until the client wants 12 revisions. Then you are working for $3/hour. I use flat rate with a revision cap. Three rounds included. Additional rounds at a defined rate. Best of both worlds.
-
What do you do when a client ghosts mid-project
I finish the work and invoice. If they paid 50%, they likely intended to pay the rest. Life happens. People get busy, sick, distracted. Professionalism means completing what you started, not punishing silence.
-
How do you raise prices without losing every existing client
I raised rates every six months. Lost 30% of clients each time. The 70% who stayed respected the increase. The 30% who left were replaced within 60 days at higher rates. The fear is worse than the reality.
-
When did you know your niche was too broad
@HannahK @DerekNoBS This is exactly what I needed. Update: I audited my last 20 clients. 70% were coaches in wellness with podcasts. That's my niche staring at me. Repositioning my messaging this week. Will report back on results.
-
When is it time to switch from templates to custom builds
Custom makes sense when you have product-market fit and scaling revenue. Before that, templates are fine. Most people invest in custom too early and regret the expense when they pivot six months later.
-
What is the most overrated AI tool right now
AI sales email writers. They all sound the same. Same structure. Same phrases. Same fake urgency. Prospects can smell it. The tool is fine. The prompts everyone uses are terrible.
-
How do you pivot when your niche is not working
I give every niche six months of focused effort. If after six months I cannot articulate who I help and what result I create, I pivot. The problem is usually positioning, not niche. But sometimes it is the niche.
-
What is your definition of success in online business
I used to think success was revenue. Then I thought it was freedom. Now I am not sure. How do you actually define success in this space? Not what you post on Instagram. What you actually believe.
-
What is your refund policy and has it ever backfired
I am finalizing my course terms and debating the refund policy. No refunds feels harsh. 30-day guarantees feel risky. What do you actually offer and have you ever been burned by it?
-
How do you package a service when every client wants custom
I productized my consulting into a diagnostic plus implementation package. The diagnostic feels custom. The implementation is identical every time. Clients get personalization at the front end and efficiency at the back end.
-
What is your AI prompt process for content creation
I use AI daily but my prompts are basic. What is your actual process for getting quality content from AI? Not the tool. The prompt sequence. How do you go from idea to usable draft?
-
Is niching down actually necessary or overrated
Niching is necessary for marketing efficiency. Not for capability. You can serve broadly but you must market narrowly. The niche is who you talk to, not who you can help.
-
How do you handle imposter syndrome before a launch
I reframe it from I am not qualified to I am one step ahead of my ideal customer. That is all you need. You do not need to be the world expert. You need to be the person who solved the problem they have right now.
-
What is the biggest myth about online business
I have been in this space for eight years and I have heard every promise. Passive income. Laptop lifestyle. Work from anywhere. What is the biggest myth you bought into and how did reality differ?