Everything posted by DerekNoBS
-
How do you write a sales page that does not feel manipulative
Manipulation is promising what you cannot deliver. Urgency and scarcity are not inherently evil. They are tools. The problem is fake urgency. If your course actually closes enrollment, say so. If it does not, do not pretend. Truth is rare. It sells.
-
What is your actual social media strategy right now
I post twice a week on one platform. LinkedIn. That is it. Every post is opinionated, specific, and contrarian. My engagement is lower than when I posted daily. My inbound leads are 3x higher. Frequency is a trap.
-
What content format gets you the most qualified leads
I get my best clients from contrarian LinkedIn posts. The ones that challenge common advice. They repel the wrong people and attract the ones who think deeply. Quality over volume.
-
When did you realize you were not cut out for a 9-to-5
I got written up for being five minutes late after working until midnight the night before. That was the moment. Corporate does not reward effort. It rewards compliance. I chose effort on my own terms.
-
What is your definition of success in online business
Success is never having to take a client I do not respect. I have fired three clients in two years. Each time revenue dipped temporarily. Each time my mental health improved permanently. That is success.
-
What would you do differently in your first year of business
I would have charged more from day one. Underpricing attracts nightmare clients who demand the most and pay the least. Higher prices filter for better people. The work is the same.
-
How do you measure if your content marketing is working
I have been blogging for a year and I cannot tell if it is working. Traffic is up but revenue is flat. What metrics do you actually track to know if your content marketing is delivering ROI?
-
How do you package a service when every client wants custom
@Jenna_T "I specialize in [package name] because it delivers the best results for [outcome]. Custom work is available at $X/hour with a 20-hour minimum. Most clients find the package covers everything they need." Then I shut up and let them decide. No apology. No justification.
-
What is the biggest myth about online business
The four hour work week. Tried it. My business almost died. Turns out you need to build something before you optimize it. Most people skip the build phase and wonder why they have nothing to optimize.
-
What is the biggest myth about online business
The four hour work week. Tried it. My business almost died. Turns out you need to build something before you optimize it. Most people skip the build phase and wonder why they have nothing to optimize.
-
How do you package a service when every client wants custom
Stop letting prospects define the scope. You define it. They choose yes or no. If they want custom, they pay custom rates. Standardization is a pricing issue, not a packaging issue. Your exhaustion comes from saying yes to everything, not from the work itself.
-
What is your refund policy and has it ever backfired
No refunds on digital products. Delivery is instant. Consumption is instant. Refunds on coaching because that is time-based. Different products. Different policies. One size does not fit all.
-
What is the most overrated business advice you have heard
Scale your business. Hustle harder. Build a personal brand. What advice gets repeated constantly but actually hurt your progress? I want to know what to ignore so I can focus on what works.
-
Is the laptop lifestyle actually real or just good marketing
I see creators posting from Bali, coffee shops, airport lounges. I am working from my kitchen table at 11 PM because a client needed revisions. Is the location freedom thing real or just content strategy? Be honest.
-
Should you ever work for free to build your portfolio
Never free. Discounted, yes. Free, no. Even $50 creates skin in the game. Free clients are the worst clients. They do not value your time, they do not give good feedback, and they rarely refer paying clients. Discount to 30% if you must. Never to zero.
-
How do you handle scope creep without sounding difficult
Stop being nice. Scope creep is a boundary problem, not a communication problem. Next time they ask, say "happy to add that, let me send a revised estimate." If they push back, they were never planning to pay for it. Your niceness is their discount.
-
When do you know it is time to fire a client
The Sunday night test. If you think about this client on Sunday and feel dread, it is time. Money is replaceable. Mental health is not. I have fired three high-paying clients. Revenue dipped temporarily. Sanity improved permanently.
-
Is it better to bill hourly or flat rate for creative work
Flat rate always. Hourly penalizes efficiency. The faster you get, the less you earn. Flat rate rewards skill. If you underestimate scope, that is a scoping problem, not a pricing problem. Fix your discovery process.
-
What do you do when a client ghosts mid-project
@SamC @Marcus_C @HannahK Sent the pause email. Client responded in 48 hours. Family emergency. Apologized, paid the milestone, extended the timeline. HannahK's approach saved the relationship and the revenue. Boundary + empathy = results.
-
What do you do when a client ghosts mid-project
Client paid 50% upfront. I delivered the first milestone. They went silent. Three weeks, no response to emails or calls. The final 50% is significant. Do you keep working, pause, or cut losses? What is the professional move here?
-
How do you raise prices without losing every existing client
@Marcus_C Easy to say when you have a pipeline. Most freelancers don't. If three clients are 60% of your income, you don't raise rates on all three at once. You test on one. You grandfather one. You negotiate with one. Not everything is a bold move.
-
How do you get your first 100 email subscribers
@HannahK Workshops work until they don't. I did 6 workshops. First 3 got 80+ people. Last 3 got 12. Audience fatigue is real. Same format, same groups, diminishing returns. Now I only do workshops for warm audiences, not cold groups.
-
When did you know your niche was too broad
@HannahK Female coaches launching first courses is still broad. That's thousands of people. What specifically about them? Course type? Revenue level? Pain point? The narrower you go, the faster you grow. I went from "business owners" to "freelancers who hate sales calls." 10x easier.
-
Is it just me or is everyone launching a course these days
Survey responses and purchases are not the same thing...
-
What is your definition of success in online business
Success is never having to take a client I do not respect. I have fired three clients in two years. Each time revenue dipped temporarily. Each time my mental health improved permanently. That is success.