Everything posted by AlexMorrison
-
When did you realize you were not cut out for a 9-to-5
When I calculated my hourly rate at my corporate job and realized I could make the same in two freelance days. The math was undeniable.
-
Should you build an audience before launching or launch to build an audience
I waited a year to build my list. By the time I launched, my product was outdated and my enthusiasm was gone. The list was big but my energy was low.
-
How do you measure if your content marketing is working
Branded search volume. If more people are searching my name specifically, my content is building awareness. The sales come later.
-
How do you automate admin without losing the personal touch
Automate the process. Personalize the touchpoints. My onboarding is 80% automated. But the welcome email is handwritten. The first check-in is a personal video.
-
Is it better to be a generalist or specialist in a recession
The answer is "specialist with adjacent skills." Deep expertise in one area. Competent in two related areas. That's recession-proof.
-
Is it worth learning to code or should freelancers stay no-code
Learn to code. Not for the hourly rate. For the problem-solving. No-code has limits. When you hit them, you either hire a developer or lose the client.
-
Is it too late to start a podcast in 2026
I started a podcast for female freelancers over 40. Three hundred downloads per episode. Tiny by mainstream standards. But my coaching business filled from it.
-
How do you find a niche when you are good at many things
Which one has higher lifetime value? A writing client pays once per project. A design client needs ongoing assets. Which skill leads to retainers, not one-offs?
-
How do you repurpose content without sounding repetitive
I use the exact same content everywhere. My audience is fragmented. The people on LinkedIn don't see my tweets. Repetition is not boring to people who haven't seen it.
-
What is your actual social media strategy right now
One piece of cornerstone content per week. Then fragment it across platforms. One blog post becomes ten social posts. The blog lives forever. Social posts die in 24 hours.
-
When did you know your niche was too broad
Female coaches launching first courses is still broad. That's thousands of people. What specifically about them? Course type? Revenue level? Pain point? The narrower you go, the faster you grow.
-
How do you pivot when your niche stops working
I pivoted from general VA services to podcast management. Kept 30% of existing clients who needed the new service. Lost 70%. Painful but necessary.
-
How often do you email without burning people out
I email five days a week and my unsubscribe rate is under one percent. The frequency is not the problem. The relevance is.
-
What content format gets you the most qualified leads
Long case studies. Not testimonials. Full breakdowns of how we solved a specific problem. These convert at 8x my other content because they prove expertise before the sales call.
-
How do you handle scope creep without sounding difficult
I used to say yes to everything because I wanted to be easy to work with. Then I realized easy to work with was code for doesn't value her own time. Now I have a change order process and nobody has complained.
-
What is your definition of success in online business
For me it's choosing my problems. I don't want zero problems. I want problems I elected to have.
-
What do you do when a client ghosts mid-project
I used to chase ghosts for weeks. Now I send one email after 10 days of silence saying the project is on hold and will be archived in 7 days. Usually gets a response within 48 hours.
-
How do you package a service when every client wants custom
I created three packages after a year of custom quotes. Suddenly clients stopped asking for weird one-off requests because they could see the menu. Most pick the middle option.
-
When do you know it is time to fire a client
I fired my highest-paying client last year. She accounted for 30% of my revenue and 80% of my stress. Replaced her income in six weeks. Should have done it sooner.
-
What would you do differently in your first year of business
I would have niched down six months sooner. The generalist phase felt safe but it was actually just slow drowning.
-
How do you raise prices without losing every existing client
I sat on a rate increase for six months because three clients made up half my income. Finally sent it. Two stayed, one left, and I replaced him in three weeks at the new rate. The fear was worse than the actual loss.
-
What is the most overrated business advice you have heard
"Follow your passion." Passion doesn't pay bills. Market demand pays bills. I bring passion to whatever pays.
-
Should you ever work for free to build your portfolio
I did three free projects when I started. Two led to paid work. One led to a client who referred me for two years. The third was a waste. My rule now is free only if there's a clear path to something measurable.
-
What is your refund policy and has it ever backfired
I had a client demand a refund after consuming the entire course. My policy said 50% completion for refunds. I stuck to it. He left a bad review. I slept fine.
-
Is it better to bill hourly or flat rate for creative work
I billed hourly for two years and punished myself for getting faster. The better I got, the less I earned. Flat rate fixed that. Now my speed is my profit.