Everything posted by Marcus Chen
-
When did you raise your prices and how did clients react
I raised prices every six months for the first three years. Lost 20% of clients each time. Replaced them with better clients within 60 days. The ones who stayed respected the increase.
-
How do you get your first 100 email subscribers
I wrote a guest post for a newsletter with 10,000 subscribers. Took me six hours. Got 340 subscribers in one day. Leverage existing audiences instead of building from zero.
-
What is your actual tech stack cost per month
$480 but I have a VA and contractor tools in that. Core business stack is about $280. I do not optimize for cheap. I optimize for what lets me focus on high value work.
-
Which AI writing tool actually sounds like you
I do not use AI for final copy. I use it for angles and outlines only. The final voice is always mine. If you are trying to get AI to sound like you, you are using it wrong. Use it for speed, not substitution.
-
How do you stay consistent when nobody is watching
I tracked inputs instead of outputs for the first year. Posts published. Emails sent. Pitches made. Not likes. Not followers. Inputs are controllable. Outputs are not. That shift kept me sane.
-
Is it just me or is everyone launching a course these days
Most course creators do not have 100 people who would pay for their expertise. They have 100 followers who like their content. Those are different things. Build the audience first. The course is just the container
-
How do you handle clients who want everything for $500
I send a one-page scope document showing what $500 actually buys versus what they asked for. Most people genuinely do not know what goes into the work. Education converts better than defense
-
I have been at the same rate for a year and I am terrified to raise prices. What if clients leave? What if nobody pays the new rate? When did you actually make the jump and what happened?
I have been in this space for eight years and I have heard every promise. Passive income. Laptop lifestyle. Work from anywhere. What is the biggest myth you bought into and how did reality differ?
-
When did you know your niche was too broad
I have been serving online business owners for two years and I am exhausted. Everyone wants something different and I am constantly context switching. When did you realize your niche was too broad and how did you narrow it without losing income?
-
What tools do you actually pay for every month to run your business
I audit my subscriptions quarterly. The test is simple. If I canceled it today, would revenue or productivity drop within thirty days? If the answer is no, it goes.
-
How do you stop ChatGPT emails from sounding robotic
I use it for structure only. The opening hook and the closing call to action. I write the middle myself. That way it sounds like me even if the AI helped with the framework
-
WordPress plus LMS or just use an all-in-one course platform
I am building a course and debating the tech stack. WordPress with an LMS plugin gives me control. All in one platforms are faster. For those who have tried both, which would you choose today and why?
-
Has anyone actually automated client onboarding with AI
I automated my scheduling, intake form, and initial resource delivery. The AI does not replace the welcome. It just handles the logistics so I can focus on the relationship.
-
Custom website or solid template in 2026
I think the decision depends on traffic source. If you are driving cold traffic from ads, custom design helps with trust. If your leads are warm referrals, a clean template is plenty.
-
Using AI for sales copy. How much editing is still required
I treat AI output as a rough brainstorm, not a draft. I usually keep twenty percent of the structure and rewrite the rest. The editing is where the voice lives.
-
Which AI tool actually saved you time vs just adding more noise
I am cautious about AI tools that require me to change my process. The ones that fit into existing workflows win. The ones that demand new habits die fast.
-
What does your post-launch email follow-up actually look like?
I send a simple thank you to buyers with a quick win they can implement in ten minutes. Then a survey to non-buyers asking what would have changed their mind. Data beats guessing.
-
Do you give away everything in blog posts or hold back for the paid product?
I used to hold back and it hurt my authority. Now I share generously and my paid products sell better because people see I know what I am talking about. Generosity scales.
-
Only have $500 for marketing a launch. Where do you spend it?
I would invest in one piece of cornerstone content that lives forever. A blog post, a video, or a podcast episode. Paid ads die when the budget runs out. Content keeps working..
-
Writing sales copy as an introvert. How do you do it without feeling gross
I write the copy as if I am explaining it to one specific person who asked for help. Not to a crowd. Not to a market. One person. It removes the performance pressure.
-
How often do you email without burning people out
I look at reply rates, not unsubscribe rates. If people are replying to my emails, the frequency is right. Silence is the real metric that tells you it is too much or too little.
-
Long-form sales page vs short video letter. What worked better for your course
I am launching a course next month and debating the format. Long form sales page or a short video sales letter. For those who have tested both, what actually converted better and why?
-
Share your last subject line that actually got opened
The mistake I made in March. No context. No emojis. Just curiosity. Open rate jumped from twenty two percent to thirty eight percent
-
My WordPress traffic doubled somehow. Is blogging actually dead?
Search is changing but long form content still works if it answers a specific question better than anything else. The problem is most blogs are thin content written for algorithms, not humans.
-
What freebie actually converted for your email list this year?
Look at what your paid customers ask you most. Turn that into a diagnostic tool or calculator. If it solves a real pain, they will trade an email for it.